Visit to the ER


Yes, it has been for ever since I updated my blog. So
much has happened, where to start. I guess I will go
in order. Before I start I just wanted to let you know that
I have added Christmas\New Years pictures and Stephen's
1st year pictures. I kept them in order so you will need to
scroll down to older posts in order to see them.

Stephen had his first visit to the hospital on Feb. 20th.
My niece Yasmine got RSV, a respratory virus that may
just stay more upper respritory or can get into the lungs
and progress really quickly and become very serious in
babies. Stephen had gotten the same symptoms; runny
nose and a deep cough. On Saturday afternoon we attended
Isabella's birthday party. Stephen did great, not fussy at all.


Here he is playing and watching the other kids play

going under the Limbo stick

Hitting the pinata

On the way home I started hearing a noise when he breathed.
My dad also noticed it, but it was not too bad. After feeding
Stephen dinner I noticed that he was really opening his chest,
trying to take big breaths and heard what I considered
wheezing. It sounded like he had azhma and was lacking air.
So, the first thing that came to mind is that the RSV has gone
into his lungs. So I decide that he needed to go to the doctor.
I called all the Urgent Care facilities and found out that they all
close at seven on Saturday's so the only place left to take him
was the Emergency room in the hospital. I had my sister Veronica
call ahead to the two closest hospitals to see which one had a
shorter wait.

We get there and they took Stephen's vitals. He was running
a fever but his oxygen levels were good. We steped out
to the waiting room then I get called to register him and then
are sent back out to the waiting room for a bit before they
call us into a room. The nurse checks him out and then the
doctor comes in. He tells me that his Oxygen level is 99%
which is average and that he is not hearing any wheezing. He
then checks his ears and informs us that he has a case of severe
double ear infections and gave us stronger antibiotic. We
were in and out in about 50 minutes, not bad right? At least
it wasn't anything more serious, but now we have a pretty bill
for our emergency visit.

Since Stephen was still not finished with his ten day antibiotics
the doctor has prescribed at his 12 month checkup, it never
dawned on me that his ears had gotten worse. After looking
back I felt so bad because Stephen was trying to tell us the
whole time by pointing to his ear, head or pulling his hair. And
all I did was label the body part, "ear/oreja" "hair/pelo" or tell
him not to mess his hair up after I had combed it.

Okay I have decided to not post everything at once. I am going
to do it in sections. Hope you all have a great Easter weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment