Potty Training

As I write this, please know that Stephen still uses pull ups.
Yes, I know we need to just get ride of them.  We do it
because it is easier for us but make it harder for him.  
He goes several days without wetting them even at
night so we just need to quite using them.

I left Stephen sitting on his potty on the first day of
potty training and when I came back this is what I found.
Yes, those are his briefs he is wearing on top of his head.

When I started potty training I rolled up the area rug to protect
 if from any accidents and the kids enjoyed sitting on
 it, particularly when they were having a snack.

I couldn't resist, I had to take a picture of 
Stephen's little tush :)


Potty Training Journal  8/8/11

Day 1:  had new Toy Story briefs to start.  Stephen had five accidents and seven successful attempts.  After he over shot the first time he realized he needed to aim it down and so every time after that.  I Went out that evening and got Stephen a step stool and the potty watch.  I would consider day 1 a success. 

Day 2:  This day wore me out!  He had four accidents in the morning (no successes) and was very cranky.  I too was not in the best state of mind.  So, we called it quits for the day. I turned off the potty watch, so it stopped going off every thirty min, but we still tried a few more times that evening.   I went out and bought Stephen some Thomas The Train briefs and a Dinosaur stool (I was tired of switching the step stool from the potty to the sink).  I showed him what I had bought him and he was very excited, he talked to Daddy on the phone and told him all about his new briefs.  When we got home he tried to go potty, and then wanted me to put on his new Thomas the Train briefs. I really could not refuse.  He tried to go one last time before bed and we finally had our first success of the day.  I had to tell him that he could not go to bed with his briefs.  I read him some books and then put on his pull-ups.  

Day 3:  Success, Success, Success!!!  Okay, as I write this it is only a little after three and the day is not over, but I still consider today a TOTAL SUCCESS!!!  Stephen just went pee, and has only had one accident today.  He also went poop in the potty for the first time since we started training! Stephen and I were very excited, he called Daddy and Grandma to share the big news.  I reward him with praise, high-fives, doing a potty dance and M&Ms when I remember.  He gets three M&Ms if he goes pee and five if he poops.  He gets all excited when his Potty Watch goes off; he runs to the restroom and tells me to come with him.  If he does not go I will sometimes have him go in 10-15 min.  If he is not motivated I tell him I will give him candy if he tries.  If he tries and does not pee I give him two M&Ms.   He likes for me to sing The Wheels on The Bus while he sits on the potty. 

Day 4:  The morning started out rough, but we still had lots of success.   Stephen asked to go to the potty on his own and then he went all by himself and told me after he was done.  I bought him some new training briefs and some plastic briefs to go over them.  He did not care for the plastic briefs.  Not too bad of a day.       

Day 5:  Went well. I went back to work today so this was his first day training at Grandma’s.  She said Stephen did well.  We went to a friends house for dinner and he told me when he needed to go a few times and also went when I asked him to or when the Potty Watch went off (every hour).  Apart from going to Grandma’s, this was our first outing since we started training. 

Day 6:  I would say Stephen is 90% potty trained.  He woke up dry today and told me each time he needed to use the restroom, without the use of a Potty Watch or any reminders on my part.  He was perfect with the exception of one time when he had an accident.  We also went on several outings (Gymboree, the grocery store and the park) with no issues.  So glad he was able to pick it up fairly easy.  I am a happy mama J






No comments:

Post a Comment